Joseph W. Haus, Director and Professor
LADAR and Optical Communications Institute
University of Dayton
Dayton, OH 45469-2591
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: (937) 229-2797
Professor, University of Dayton 1999-present
Director, Electro-Optics Program, University of Dayton 1999-present
Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1993-1999
Associate Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1985-1993
Nonlinear optics - heterogeneous materials, photonic crystals, metamaterials and crystals
parametric down-conversion and THz generation, harmonic generation, and modulation instabilities
Fiber lasers - mode-locked, cylindrically polarized and tunable
Metallodielectrics for super-resolution and nonlinear applications
1. R. Zhou, J. W. Haus, P. E. Powers, and Q. Zhan, "Vectorial fiber laser using intracavity axial birefringence," Opt. Express 18, 10839-10847 (2010).
2. K. Sakoda and J.W. Haus, “Science and Engineering of Photonic Crystals,” Progress in Optics 54, 271-317 (2009).
3. R. Zhou, B. Ibarra-Escamilla, J. W. Haus, P. E. Powers and Q. Zhan, “Fiber laser generating switchable radially and azimuthally polarized beams with 140 mW output power at 1.6 µm wavelength,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 95(19), 191111 (2009).
4. R. V. Chimenti, M. P. Dierking, P. E. Powers, and J. W. Haus, "Sparse frequency LFM ladar signals," Opt. Express 17, 8302-8309 (2009).
5. W. Cheng, J. W. Haus and Q. Zhan, "Propagation of vector vortex beams through a turbulent atmosphere," Opt. Express 17, 17829-17836 (2009).
6. W. Cheng, J. W. Haus and Q. Zhan, “Propagation of scalar and vector vortex beams through turbulent atmosphere,” Atmospheric Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves III. Edited by O. Korotkova. Proceedings of the SPIE 7200, 720004-10 (2009).
7. A.R. Pandey, P. E. Powers and J. W. Haus, “Optical field measurements for accurate modeling of nonlinear parametric interactions,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B26, 218-227 (2009).
8. O. Pottiez, E. A Kuzin, J. W. Haus, R. Grajales-Coutiño, P. Zaca-Moran, “Experimental investigation of self-starting operation in a F8L based on a symmetrical NOLM,” B. Ibarra-Escamilla, Opt. Commun. 281, 1226-1232 (2008).
9. B. Ibarra-Escamilla, O. Pottiez, J. W. Haus, E. A. Kuzin, M. Bello-Jimenez, A. Flores-Rosas, “Wavelength-tunable picosecond pulses from a passively mode-locked figure-eight Erbium-doped fiber laser with a Sagnac fiber filter,” Journal of the European Optical Society - Rapid publications 3, 08036 (2008)
10. A. Mandatori, C. Sibilia, M. Bertolotti,J. W. Haus, “Analysis of negative refraction from anomalous phase in transmission spectrum,” Applied Physics Letters 92, id. 251117 (3 pages) (2008).
11. X. Liu, J. W. Haus and M. S. Shahriar, “Modulation instability for a relaxational Kerr medium,” Opt. Commun. 281, 2907-2912 (2008).
12. Z. Wu, R. L. Nelson, J. W. Haus and Q. Zhan, "Long-Range Surface Plasmon Devices Design using Subwavelength Metal Grating," Journal of Nonlinear Optical Physics & Materials 17, 413-423 (2008).
13. Z. Wu, R. L. Nelson, J. W. Haus and Q. Zhan, "Plasmonic electro-optic modulator design using a resonant metal grating," Opt. Lett. 33, 551-553 (2008).
14. Z. Wu, J. W. Haus, Q. Zhan and R. L. Nelson, “Plasmonic notch filter design based on long-range surface plasmon excitation along metal grating,” Plasmonics, 3, 103-108 (2008).
15. A.R. Pandey, P. E. Powers and J. W. Haus, “Experimental Performance of a Two-Stage Periodically Poled Lithium Niobate Parametric Amplifier,” IEEE J. Quant. Electron. 44, 203-208 (2008).
16. M. Centini, V. Roppo, E. Fazio, F. Pettazzi, C. Sibilia, J. W. Haus, J. V. Foreman, N. Akozbek, M. J. Bloemer, and M. Scalora, “Inhibition of Linear Absorption in Opaque Materials Using Phase-Locked Harmonic Generation ,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 113905 (2008)
17. V. Roppo, M. Centini, D. de Ceglia,M. A. Vicenti, J. W. Haus, N. Akozbek, M. J. Bloemer, M. Scalora, “Anomalous momentum states, non-specular reflections, and negative refraction of phase-locked, second-harmonic pulses,” Metamaterials 2, 135-144 (2008).
18. D. de Ceglia, M. A. Vincenti, M. G. Cappeddu, M. Centini, N. Akozbek, A. D’Orazio, J. W. Haus, M. J. Bloemer, and M. Scalora, “Tailoring metallodielectric structures for super-resolution and superguiding applications in the visible and near-ir ranges,” Phys. Rev. A 77, 033848 (2008)
Optical Society of America Fellow, 1998
SPIE Fellow, 2004
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Hitachi Ltd. Quantum Materials
Chair, University of Tokyo, 1991-1992
National Research Council Senior Associate, U.S. Army Missile Command, 1983-1984
National Research Council Associate, National Bureau of Standards, 1975-1977